Updated on 2023-03-14
Hello, I have an issue with my iPhone 7 Plus. Tried fixing it using several troubleshooting techniques but no positive results. My friends advised that I restore the device via recovery mode, which I did but it's still not working. I'm so terrified right now. I have some important assignments to do with this iPhone. Is there anyone who has a solution? Kindly help a friend out!
Does the illustration above sound familiar? If yes, and you are looking for a quick and costless fix, this article is definitely for you. Here, we will share with you a detailed guide that explains how to fix iPhone recovery mode not working issues without compromising your data. Read on to find out!
Part 1. What is Recovery Mode on an iPhone?
Recovery mode is a troubleshooting technique often used to fix most iOS-related issues that you may encounter. It allows you to perform complete restoration on your device, thereby clearing away those bugs causing it to malfunction.
This troubleshooting technique fixes your iPhone using an app as you connect your device to a computer. Recovery mode is tantamount to factory resetting. So you may lose all of your data when using this troubleshooting method.
Part 2. How to Enter Recovery Mode on iPhone
Activating recovery mode on your iPhone is quite straightforward. But the process involved may differ depending on the generation of iPhone you are using. Follow the set of instructions given below to enter recovery mode on your iPhone:
Step 1: Launch the latest version of iTunes or Finder on your computer system. iTunes for Windows operating systems, Finder for macOS Catalina, and newer generations.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cord, and then activate recovery mode. To activate recovery mode on your iPhone, check out the appropriate stepwise guide below:
iPhone 8 and newer generation
- As quickly as possible, hold and release the Volume Up button
- Do the same for your Volume Down button
- Now, hold down the Lock button till you have the recovery mode screen
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Press the Lock key, and then release after a few seconds
- Now hold down the Volume Down key until you find the recovery mode screen
iPhone 6 and older generation
Hold down the Lock and Home buttons simultaneously till you find the recovery mode screen
Part 3. How to Recover iPhone Using Recovery Mode
On completing the above, the next thing you need to do is recover your device. Depending on your computer system, the process involved differs. Check the appropriate instructions below to recover your iPhone:
macOS Catalina and newer generation
Locate and click on your iPhone on the left sidebar. A prompt requesting whether you want to Update or Restore your device. Select Update, and iTunes will automatically fix your iPhone by updating it. Wait for the update to complete and your iPhone will exit recovery mode.
Windows or macOS Mojave
Your device should pop up on the left sidebar. Click on it and a notification prompt will pop up with the options Update and Restore. Tap on Update to reinstall your iPhone operating system without deleting the data. Should the update fail, you should try restoring the iPhone. To restore your iPhone, kindly tap on the Restore button.
Now that you’ve successfully recovered your iPhone, it should start functioning properly. Mind you, your iPhone will restart after recovering it. You will have to set it up again by filling your Apple ID details in the appropriate field.
Part 4. Why Is iPhone Recovery Mode Not Working?
iPhone recovery mode isn’t working for several reasons. Some of them are highlighted below:
- Outdated iTunes/Finder Version: Recovering an iPhone via recovery mode requires iTunes or Finder app depending on the computer operating system you are using. You must run the latest version of these apps for recovery mode to function properly. If you do not meet this criterion, you shouldn’t expect recovery mode to work.
- Firmware Issue: Do you have the right firmware installed on your iPhone? If your iOS device is running on the wrong firmware, recovery mode won’t work either. To fix this, you need an iOS system recovery software. Eassiy iOS system recovery software is a great tool to use.
- Faulty USB Cord: Here is another principal reason why iPhone recovery mode isn’t working for you. Ensure the lightning or USB cord you use to connect your iPhone to the computer isn’t tangled or faulty.
- Hardware Issue: Hardware related issues like broken screen, damaged touchpad and more can cause iPhone recovery mode not working. And if that be the case, then you need to visit the nearest Apple Store in your locality to fix your device.
Part 5. Ultimate Solution to Fix iPhone Recovery Mode Not Working on iPhone with No Data Loss
There’s no way to fix iPhone recovery mode not working issue without losing data unless you have an iOS system recovery software at hand. Not just any iOS system recovery tool but a powerful one that ensures maximum data security. Countless software programs claim to offer similar service. However, FonePaw iOS system recovery software is the best amongst them because of the excellent services it offers. The software is well-customised with incredible features that you need to fix your iPhone.
From fixing iPhone recovery mode, to fixing iTunes error, DFU Mode, black screen, frozen status, and more. FonePaw fixes over 50 iOS system issues you may encounter on your iPhone easily without compromising your data. Beginners in the tech space find this iOS system recovery software easy to operate because of the simple user interface it has. FonePaw iOS system recovery software is universal as it works with Windows and Mac operating systems.
- 1-click to enter or exit recovery/DFU mode
- Fixes over 50+ iOS system issues with no data loss
- Quickly repairs iOS system with 3 repair modes
- Rest iOS password, downgrade/update iOS, and unjailbreak iOS device
Stepwise Guide to Fix iPhone Recovery Mode Not Working
Install FonePaw iOS system recovery software from the official website. Launch the software after the installation is over, and then follow the instructions below to fix iPhone recovery mode not working issue:
Step 1: When FonePaw opens, click on Start to proceed.
Next, connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB charging cord. Since your device is already in recovery mode, FonePaw iOS system recovery software will immediately detect it. It will scan through the device for any issue. On completing scanning, you will receive a prompt to select your preferred repair type. Kindly tap on Standard Mode, and then click on Confirm.
Step 2: Eassiy on receiving a signal about your repair type will immediately send a prompt as below to help you confirm your iPhone type:
Click on Fix if the details correlate with your device type. Next, Eassiy will source a compatible firmware package to repair your iPhone. On finding the right firmware package, a page as below will pop up:
Select a firmware package to fix your iPhone then click on the Download or Import button. Tap on Next to proceed.
Step 3: On the next screen, select Repair. FonePaw iOS system recovery software will automatically fix your iPhone with the firmware package. Wait for the repair to complete, and your device will automatically reboot itself. Once it comes on, it should start functioning properly.
Part 6. Other Effective Way to Fix iPhone Recovery Mode Not Working
Although the above solution is the ideal one to fix iPhone recovery mode not working, you can try these other solutions as well:
Method 1: Update iTunes or Finder App
Go to the official website for iTunes on your computer to update the software on your computer.
Method 2: Force Restart iPhone
If recovery mode isn’t working on your iPhone, try force restarting the device. At least that should fix the iPhone, and bring it back to normal. Force restarting clear temporal glitches, and bugs affecting your iPhone. To force restart an iOS device,
- Launch the Setting tab
- Click on General
- Scroll down and click on Shut Down. Your iPhone will automatically go off. Turn it ON again and it should start working properly
Method 3: Restore iPhone in DFU Mode
DFU Mode is another effective solution to fix iOS related issues. It’s quite similar to the recovery mode. However, instead of showing the recovery mode screen, a blank screen appears which signals DFU mode.
To restore your iPhone in DFU Mode, check out the instructions given below for each iOS generation:
iPhone 8 and new generation
Open iTunes or Finder on your computer, connect your iPhone to the computer, and then follow the steps below:
- Press the Volume Up button, and then release
- Press the Volume Down button, and then release
- Now, hold down the Lock button until your screen goes blank
- Next, hold the Lock and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Release the Lock button while keeping your finger on the Volume Down button.
iTunes or Finder will immediately pop up on your screen which means your device is in DFU Mode.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
Launch iTunes, connect your device to your computer then follow the guide below:
- Simultaneously hold down the Volume Down and Lock keys for 8 seconds
- Release the Lock button and continue holding the Volume Down button till your iPhone enters iTunes or Finder
- Let go of the Volume Down button and your iPhone screen will go black to show it's in DFU Mode
iPhone 6 and older generation
Run either iTunes or Finder, connect your iPhone to the computer using a lightning cord, then follow the stepwise guide below:
- Press the Home and Power buttons together for at most 8 seconds
- Release the Power button while you are still holding the Home key. Your iPhone should appear in iTunes or Finder
- Now leave the Home button and your screen will immediately go blank showing your device has entered DFU Mode
To exit DFU Mode, kindly force restart your device.
Method 4: Contact Apple Support
Should the solutions above not fix your iPhone, visit the nearest Apple Store around you to fix the device. Do not give your device to any engineer to fix it as we cannot guarantee their professionalism.
There you go with the tutorial guide on how to fix iPhone recovery mode not working issues. We did provide 5 effective solutions that you can use to fix your device when recovery mode isn’t working. Choose one and see the result. However, our ultimate solution - FonePaw iOS system recovery software is the best. It will fix recovery mode, and other system related issues causing your iPhone to malfunction without compromising your data.