Updated on 2024-01-05
Available for all major operating systems, Screencast-O-Matic is a free, simple screen recording tool that comes laden with numerous audio and video editing features. The plethora of recording, editing, collaborating, and sharing options in Screencast-O-Matic makes it a suitable screen recording program for creating online tutorials, product demos, software demos, gameplays, and so on.
Scroll down to learn everything about the fantastic Screencast-O-Matic and find out whether it is suitable for accomplishing your endeavors. And in case you do not like what Screencast-O-Matic has to offer, we have listened to an alternative. Plus, you will find step-by-step instructions to use both the Screencast-O-Matic and its fabulous alternative.
Part 1: Screencast-O-Matic Unbiased Review
Screencast-O-Matic is an excellent, freemium screen recording and video-making tool that is available on all major operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Chromebook. The screen recording options are flexible, and the program allows you to record both webcam and screen simultaneously. You can also include both system and external audio in the screen recording.
The live annotation tools allow you to draw, scribble, or doodle on the screen recordings to capture engaging tutorials and product demos. There is also an option to showcase mouse and keyboard strokes in the screen recording, which is fancied by gamers to showcase their precious moments in a classy way.
Screencast-O-Matic has many premium plans. Each is better than the earlier. For context, the free version of Screencast-O-Matic only allows you to capture up to 15 minutes with Watermarks. The Deluxe plan of Screencast-O-Matic removes the watermark and does not impose any time constraints. Still, there are some restrictions with the Deluxe version, like you cannot hide the mouse cursor or changes its color. You have to purchase the Premier version of Screencast-O-Matic to change the mouse cursor color or hide it. And so on. There are versions, the MAX, and the BUSINESS, with the Business version of Screencast-O-Matic offering unlimited benefits.
Overall, Screencast-O-Matic bridges the gap between the different requirements of the users and charges you accordingly. The free version of Screen O Matic is the way to go if you need a decent recorder to capture up to 15 minutes and do not mind watermarks. However, if you require more screen recording time, you need to upgrade to other plans.
Screencast-O-Matic Main Features
- Screencast-O-Matic all plans allow you to record the screen with webcam and external and internal audio.
- Customize the recording area.
- Advanced options like Zoom in during recording and highlighting something.
- Drawing tools to add text, highlight something, scribble, and doodle on the screen recordings.
- Automated Text-to-speech captioning features.
- Publish the screen recording to YouTube, Drive, or Screencast-O-Matic File Manager.
- Virtual background to remove the boring environment in the webcam overlay.
VIDEO AND IMAGE EDITING
- Add your music to the screen recordings during post-production.
- You can crop and resize the screen recording.
- Change the background color and get your hands on color grading tools.
- Use Animated overlays and transitions to add cool effects to the screen recording.
- Add and Edit multiple tracks of audio in the screen recording.
- Change the speed of the recorded video and audio.
- Add effects like Zoom in and Zoom out.
- Hide the mouse cursor or change the color of the mouse cursor.
- Import your own video and images and mix them with the screen recording.
- Blur sensitive information.
CONTENT HOSTING AND MANAGEMENT
- Quick share the videos to platforms like Facebook, Email, WhatsApp, and Teams.
- Create links and share them on Twitter and other platforms.
- Embed the videos directly to your blog or website.
- Video and text commenting features.
- Set automatic publish and expiration dates.
- Share the video directly to Learning Management System.
- Some plans of Screencast-O-Matic have stock content from Shutterstock.
Note: These features define the premium version of Screencast-O-Matic. You will not see all these features in the free version. Furthermore, there are different plans for Screencast-O-Matic, and some versions may not offer the features mentioned. So, ensure to check the features before subscribing to Screencast-O-Matic.
- Screencast-O-Matic is available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac.
- The Solo Deluxe costs US$ 3/mo.
- The Solo Premier costs US$ 6/mo.
- The Solo Max costs US$ 10/mo.
- The Team Business costs US$ 24/mo (3 licenses).
As mentioned, each plan offers added features than previous ones. The free version only allows you to record up to 15 minutes and imposes watermarks on the videos.
Pros of Screencast-O-Matic:
- You can record the entire screen, customize the recording area, and record only a window or application.
- You can capture the webcam overlay with the screen recording.
- The premium plans allow you to record with internal and external audio.
- Numerous sharing options make it simple for users to broadcast their videos.
- A built-in content manager allows you to access everything at any time.
- The editing options allow you to polish your audio and video and make them look more professional.
- Advanced Team Collaboration features with the Business version.
- There is even a mobile version of the program.
Cons of Screencast-O-Matic:
- The free version of Screencast-O-Matic leaves a watermark on the videos.
- Lacks OCR functionality
- You can export screenshot images as PNG files.
- No scrolling capture like Eassiy Screen Recorder.
- 15 minutes limit on the screen recording (free version).
Part 2: How to Install Screencast-O-Matic on Laptop?
Screencast-O-Matic is available on all major operating systems, including Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. While it must be clear how to install the iOS and Android app on their phone, some users might find it difficult to install the Screencast-O-Matic app on their Windows or Mac devices. So, follow the step-by-step instructions and learn how to use the Screencast-O-Matic program:
Step 1. Go to the Screencast-O-Matic official site. And click on Start recording for free.
Step 2. Screencast-O-Matic (extension file) will be downloaded on the computer. Open the .exe file to launch the Screencast-O-Matic tool.
Step 3. If you want to upgrade the plan of Screencast-O-Matic, click on Upgrade Recorder. And create an account by filling the details.
Part 3: How to use Screencast-O-Matic Software?
After installing the Screencast-O-Matic tool, follow these steps to learn how to use the program and perform basic functions like recording, editing, and sharing the video with the rest of the world.
Step 1. On the main interface of the Screencast-O-Matic software, choose Launch New Recorder.
Step 2. Click on the Settings toggle after the Recorder window is launched.
- Via the Settings toggle, choose the quality, time, and narration, and other desired preferences for recording the screen.
- Via Preferences tab, you can customize the area you want to capture.
Step 3. Click on the Rec button to start the recording. Use the annotation tool at the top of the screen recording window to annotate the live screen recording.
Step 4. Click on the Pause button to Stop the recording. Click on Done to access the advanced options like Save/Upload or Edit Video.
Step 5. If you have chosen the Edit option, you can edit the recording name. Cut the unwanted parts. Insert text and use other advanced features like Transitions, Speed, Overlay, and so on.
Step 6. After editing the video file, click on the desired file like Save to save the screen recording as a video file on the local storage. You can also opt to Publish the video to YouTube.
Save the recording to local storage if you do not want to edit the video. However, you can click on the Edit video to access Trimmer and other video editing tools. Once edited, you can publish the video to YouTube directly. Or, save it to the local storage.
Part 4: What is the best Alternative to Screencast-O-Matic
Screencast-O-Matic is an exceptional tool, no doubt! However, it is more suitable for educators with a learning management system. It does have all the tools to carry on other types of recordings. But there is also an alternative to Screencast-O-Matic with even more advanced features and a simple user interface suitable for novices and experts alike. And that is: Eassiy Screen Recorder.
Eassiy Screen Recorder Ultimate
Eassiy Screen Recorder Ultimate is an all-inclusive, comprehensive screen recorder and video-making tool to capture and create professional-looking tutorials, gameplays, presentations, and product reviews. From flexible recording tools to advanced editing options, Eassiy incorporates everything in a simple-to-use and modern user interface, so even the least tech-literates can use the tool conveniently.
Eassiy also includes real-time drawing and annotation tools to draw, highlight, and share the message more clearly with the audience. You also have the option to limit background interference while capturing audio from the microphone. The webcam overlay lets you choose the shape and personalize the video with your presence.
It also features built-in audio and video editor to remove unwanted parts and modify the screen recording for professional use. After recording and editing the video, you can save it in the local storage in any desired format or share it on social channels like YouTube, Facebook, and more. Additionally, the best thing about Eassiy Screen Recorder is the personalization features, like you customize your own keyboard shortcuts and manage the recordings using hotkeys for efficient workflow.
Key Features of Eassiy Screen Recorder:
Eassiy Screen Recorder takes things to the next level. It might be short when it comes to collaborating features. But Eassiy beats the Screencast-O-Matic in terms of recording options. This means you can record all types of videos using Eassiy Screen Recorder, including online tutorials, explainers, business presentations, gameplays, product demos, and so on. Here’s what Eassiy Screen Recorder offers:
- Flexible screencast options. Eassiy Screen Recorder comes with flexible recording options. You can record the entire screen, partial screen, or a specific window for uninterrupted recording.
- Besides recording Windows and Mac, Eassiy also allows you to mirror the iPhone or Android and record the screen via the computer.
- Scheduler and Auto-end recordings. You can start a screen recording automatically with Eassiy Screen Recording in the way you want (by setting the start and end time and the parameters for recording). You can also end a recording that is already in progress using the auto-end function.
- Capture your webcam. You can capture the webcam with screen recording in different shapes like oval, square, elliptical, and more. Or, you can capture the webcam individually.
- Record only audio. The dedicated audio recorder allows you to capture audio on a computer with external sound. Add effects and so on. You can also limit background interference and enhance microphone sound.
- Advanced Screenshot options. Go beyond typical screenshot options. Snap a screenshot of a long chat, a webpage, and so on using the scrolling screenshot options (missing in Screencast-O-Matic). Copy the screenshot, highlight the message, and share it on social channels.
- Draw on recordings. The live annotation tools allow you to draw shapes, doodle and scribble the live recordings. You can also add texts and shapes in any color and font during post-production.
- Edit the recordings. Use the trim tool to remove unwanted parts, audio cleaning to make the audio sound clealy, auto-split, and more.
- Dedicated Game Recorder. Capture 2D/3D games in high-definition up to 60fps. Use the webcam overlay. And lock the game window to record uninterruptedly.
- Advanced Recording Options. Follow Mouse Recorder to record the selected with mouse movements. Around Mouse Recorder. Lock Window Recorder.
- Save and share. Save the screen recordings and screenshots in any format. Or share it with the rest of the world using social sharing options.
- macOS 10.10 or later versions.
- Windows 11/10/8, and 7. (No support for Vista and XP users like CamStudio Windows application).
You can also record iPhone and Android (all versions).
Pros of Eassiy Screen Recorder:
- Record the entire screen, customize the recording area, and record only a window or application.
- Capture the webcam overlay with the screen recording.
- Include both system/microphone sounds.
- Use editing tools to trim, merge, auto-split, and more.
- Auto scheduler to start and end a project automatically.
- Live annotation tools to draw and highlight the message clearly.
Cons of Eassiy Screen Recorder:
- You can only record up to 3 minutes with free variant (no watermarks).
How to use FonePaw Screen Recorder?
Eassiy is available for both Mac and Windows users. And both the versions have the same build and interface. So regardless of which platform you are on, follow the below-mentioned steps and record the screen conveniently.
Step 1. Download and Install the Eassiy Screen Recorder program on the computer. Open the Eassiy program. Choose Video Recorder.
Note: On the main interface of Eassiy, click on the triple bars ( ≡) icon from the top-right corner to access Preferences.
Under Preferences, you can change the hotkeys, manage audio levels, define aspect ratio and output formats, and other Settings for future recordings.
Step 2. Under the Video Recorder interface, choose the Full Screen to record the entire desktop screen.
- Choose Custom to specify the recording area.
- Choose the Resolution and Aspect ratio.
Step 3. Click the REC button to start recording the screen as desired settings.
- You can use real-time annotation tools to draw shapes with an arrow, lines, pencils, and more.
- Add text in any font and color by clicking on the T icon.
- The Camera icon allows you to capture a screenshot during live recording.
Step 4. Use the Auto Stop recording option to Stop the recording automatically. Click on the Clock icon on the recording menu. Set the duration of the recording, and click OK to confirm the auto-scheduler.
Note: If you want to start and end the recording automatically, click the Task Schedule option on the main interface of Eassiy Screen Recorder.
- Click on New Task. And type in a name.
- Set the parameters for recording automatically.
Step 5. You can access the recording later via the Recording History tab.
- Even after saving the recorded footage that you can access by clicking on the Pencil icon.
- Edit the auto-saved recording using the trim, watermarks, and more such editing tools.
- You can share the recordings by clicking on the Share icon on social channels like YouTube, Facebook, and more.
That’s how to use the Auto Scheduler and Task Scheduler in Eassiy Screen Recorder. Eassiy has many other recording options behind the walls. While the tool in itself is self-explanatory, you can follow the online tutorials on Eassiy’s official site to learn more about the tool.
1. Can I Use Screencast-O-Matic For Free?
Yes. There is a free version of Screencast-O-Matic. There is no need to create an account or sign up for your details. You can download the tools from the official site of Screencast-O-Matic and use the free version with its restrictions.
2. What is Screencast-O-Matic Used For?
Screencast-O-Matic is used to capture the desktop or phone screen, edit the recordings, and share the screen recording with others. That is to say, you can use Screencast-O-Matic for creating online tutorials, product demonstrations, explainer videos, gameplays, and so on.
3. Is Screencast-O-Matic Worth it?
It depends on your requirement. Screencast-O-Matic is primarily designed for teachers and business teams. Its features, like collaborations, are suitable for online instructors to connect with the students and business teams to communicate with each other clearly. So, it is not suitable for creating every type of screen recording, given you have to pay for the features you might not use.
A more comprehensive solution suitable to every user is the Eassiy Screen Recorder Ultimate. Eassiy's monthly plan is more costly than the Screencast-O-Matic, but its lifetime license cost gives you access to the tool forever.
4. How do I use Screencast-O-Matic Chrome Extension?
You can install the Chrome extension of Screencast-O-Matic from the Chrome Web Store and use it using the steps mentioned above. Regardless of the device, the method to use Screencast-O-Matic is pretty much same.
5. How to remove Screencast-O-Matic watermark?
The free version of Screencast-O-Matic leaves a watermark on the recordings. And there is no way to remove the watermark once you have already recorded a screen recording. However, you can upgrade the plan on Screencast-O-Matic to remove watermarks in future recordings.
The detailed review must have given you a clear picture of what Screencast-O-Matic offers. You can record with the free version but only for 15 minutes and with watermarks. The premium version of Screencast-O-Matic is directed toward educators and business professionals. So, in a way, you will be spending money for features that you might not use while recording games and so on. That is why it is better to choose a comprehensive solution like Eassiy Screen Recorder. The one-time license cost means access to all the features to record any type of video on your phone and computer. Be it online tutorials or gameplays, Eassiy Screen Recorder includes features to suit the need of any user.